For Stiff Ankles, Try Some Pin And Spin

The inspiration for this pose came from watching Dr. Kelly Starrett’s Mobility WOD Bone Saw video. Ankle Churning helped with mobility, but I wanted another level of release especially using the Yoga Tune Up® therapy balls. As you watch, please excuse my posterior! I wanted to show the movement in close up so you can replicate it at home.

Learn about our Therapy Ball Programs.

Watch our feet and ankle videos.

Amalea Fisher is a certified Yoga Tune Up® instructor. She started practicing YTU after experiencing debilitating neck pain and it had an immediate impact when nothing else worked. 2013 found Amalea fresh off a serious illness where could not practice Yoga Tune Up® for some time. This was a reminder for her how essential YTU was to her well being and motivated Amalea to follow her dream of sharing Yoga Tune Up® with others. Amalea wants to help everyone achieve a better body within a therapeutic yoga setting.

14 Responses to “For Stiff Ankles, Try Some Pin And Spin”

1. Kristin says:

I can’t wait to share this with my triathletes!! Thanks Amelia your awesome!

2. Nancy says:

Thanks Amalea my ankle occasionally locks when I begin a run and I also want to squat without a mat under my heels. This Pin and Spin exercise is bound to help release them . :)

3. Jason Campbell says:

Thanks for this option Amalea! I broke my ankle last year and have all kinds of crazy tightness down there. i’ve used the YTU balls down there, but not in this way, and i think it’s exactly the movement i need.

4. rie katagiri says:

Who doesn’t need this? Awesome lesson! I feel like ankles are like the necks of our lower extremities. When they are a mess, so are our feet and out goes any connection the ground! No connection to the ground/feet = spaced out brain!

5. Geoff Brown says:

The ankles — the neglect “stepchild” of our body. We give attention to our feet, our calves and hamstrings but never seem to give any love to the flexors and extensors. The muscles that surround the ankle respond to a good rolling out with the YTU Therapy Balls. It is great to have a new exercise to add to the repertoire. Thanks for the video!

6. John Greenhow says:

Genius! I love this move. Can’t wait to squat on Monday morning with new ankles!

7. Gennifer Morris says:

Thanks for showing this version with the YTU balls. I like the idea of using the balls and not having to get extra equipment, and this is a little gentler for stiff ankles.

8. mimi martel says:

Thank you for the reminder … I did this pose in my class last week and the students squats improved immediately !

9. Lisa Swanson says:

Amalea: I enjoyed watching both videos but must admit (even after a try), that using the YTU Therapy Balls seemed not only friendlier but easier to use with my ankle movement.
    Once certified, I’m planning my first class around the leg, or below the knee ;-) including the ankle and foot.
    That’s for this great and simple techniques using the YTU Therapy Balls.
    Lisa

10. Amalea says:

Clare – you do need to prop the balls on a block or book or sturdy box. You need the full range of motion in order to release from every angle.

11. Clare Chura says:

Amalea, I bet this feels amazing afterwards, but I’m having difficulty rolling my ankle with the ball propped beneath it. My foot keeps knocking into the ground, so I’m curious as to whether or not I should prop something beneath it (IE: block, books)? Hope this makes sense!

12. Aida says:

Amalea you are awesome!! Great idea! Thank you!

13. Gary Carlisle says:

Excellent, simple and effective. I think the feet, being what ground us to the earth [most of the time} are an important way to begin the day or a Yoga Tune Up. I will add this simple and effective to my classes and my daily routine.

The effect of this blog for greater knowledge to be spread throughout the world is invaluable.

14. Stephanie says:

Great video demo and effective mobility. I did this just now on my coffee table and immediate benefits. Thank you.