Awaken The Diaphragm With YTU Bridge Lifts

While practicing Bridge Lifts with Jill in this video, focus on the coordination of the respiratory diaphragm and the pelvic diaphragm. See if you can actively draw the pelvic diaphragm up as your hips release down to the ground at the end of your exhalation. Notice if you can deepen your breath, full inhalations and full exhalations, to strengthen, stretch and sync your diaphragms. Explore the relationship of the breath to the pelvic floor in other Yoga Tune Up® Poses, try Tubular Core, Tune Up Tadasana and Uddiyana Bandha.YouTube Preview Image

Get the Yoga Tune Up At Home Program

Learn more about Teacher Trainings

Read another post about yoga poses

Amanda is a certified Yoga Tune Up teacher in Sebastopol, CA. Her sessions with individuals and small groups, integrate her extensive training in Iyengar and Ashtanga Yoga, as well as fitness work from CrossFit to MovNat. Amanda can be reached at AmandaCrutcher@gmail.com

6 Responses to “Awaken The Diaphragm With YTU Bridge Lifts”

1. mimi martel says:

Thank you for the reminder Amanda! this is such a simple and efficient pose. To increase the opening of the back of the rib cage and all respiratory muscles I often included a coregeous ball sequencing, guiding the students to roll all over there upper back: trapezius, rhomboids, latissimus dorsi, intercoastal up and down. And then placing the ball between the shoulder blades dropping the hips and head on the floor (I use suitable props if need it to support the head) slowly rock side to side, like they were in a raft and the gentles waves were making making them roll right and left. With the extension of the thoracic spine it open up the full front line of the body and undo a bit of the “flexed” posture so many of us tend to be all day.

2. Taryn Shultz says:

Whenever I do breathing exercises in the seated/laying position at the being and end of class, I never feel like I’m able to breathe as fully as what is expected. Today we did this exercise in class and I was amazed how much air I was able to bring into my lungs. It was something I had never felt before. I feel like this has now created a reference point as to what deep breathing should feel like.

3. Ann F says:

when we’re practicing this pose in my classes, i have the students put a block between their knees. squeeze the block lightly, inhaling and lifting (sweeping arms up and over). then exhale return to floor. Although i coach them through breathing- inhale lifting, exhale, lowering. if they stayed in a pose for 5-10 breaths, i would have them focus on diaghramatic breathing. After watching Jill’s video, i am going to emphasize on the breaths when they lift/lower. The students will definately get a different feel for the pose. Thank you!

4. Amanda says:

I just finished my first day of YTU certification course today where we talked a fair bit about the Tubular core. I still had doubts on whether or not I was doing it right, but this video was quite helpful! It was kind of exciting to read it and actually know what it means! Looking forward to the rest of the course. :)

5. Donna Clark says:

I found exploring the core and breath through this flowing bridge and tubular core and tadasana very interesting because although I could get more breath in the lungs with the more relaxed bridge flow – once I got into tune up tadasana and tubular core I felt very strong and safe and my breath could be quite calm and measured nt strained indicating that there was enough space within the bracing of the core and tadasana to allow the diaphragm to relax and contract with a certain amount of ease. It helped me to feel calm on the inside a d strong all around. Very powerful.

6. Ilene says:

I loved this blog, video and pose. I have been teaching my students this version of moving bridge. It is profiound how it allows more space for the breath with the arms raised overhead on the inhale. It’s a way for students to tap into more thoracic breathing on the inhale. I love your reference to diaghram lifting on the exhalation and the bhandas. It would be interesting to lift the pelvic floor on the exhalation as the hips extend back down.