Yoga Tune Up® Frequently Asked Questions
- What do I get from the training?
Along with advanced training on biomechanics and physiology, once successfully passing the final exam/audition, you will be certified at the level of training you are taking. This provides you with the ability to teach your own Yoga Tune Up® classes. Each level of training provides very specific templates to jump start your own classes and workshops.
- Are there any requirements for taking the Teacher Training Program?
Prospective trainees should have a basic understanding of Yoga poses, a sincere interest in the body and a long history of some form of physical practice (such as Yoga, Pilates, Dance, Martial Arts, Personal Training, etc.). Many students of the Teacher Training take the training to further enhance their knowledge of anatomy, physiology and body movement and not to teach Yoga Tune Upand this is welcomed.
- I have never done a Yoga teacher training, but have many years of Yoga experience, can I do the training?
Yes. While you may not qualify to teach a Yoga Tune Up® class, this training will deepen your understanding of the body, biomechanics and give you tools to step into the role of a teacher.
- I teach other fitness formats, will I be eligible to teach Yoga Tune Up® classes?
To qualify fully for teaching, you will need to have advanced working knowledge of Yoga poses and their names. Your other modalities will be very helpful for your Yoga Tune Up® training and of course, for becoming a Yoga Tune Up® teacher. This training will also help expand your teaching skills for your other fitness formats.
- Should I take this training before or after a full 200 hour certification program?
Prospective teachers find that they are much more prepared to teach Yoga Tune Up® if they are currently a certified Yoga teacher, or proficient at another format, be it Pilates, Nia, dance, or other fitness modalities. The training is geared towards teachers, but there are always some advanced/longtime students ready to take the plunge into teaching in these trainings. A 200 hour Yoga Teacher Training course is not a pre-requisite, although it can be helpful. We expect all applicants to have a sincere interest in the body, and a long history of physical practice. Finishing the training is not a guarantee that they will be able to teach, as trainees must also perform well during their final evaluation (teaching a class) and a written exam. If they do pass, and get certified as a Level 1 Yoga Tune Up® Teacher, they may absolutely go out and teach.
- How long are the Trainings?
Depending on the specific training contact hours can range from 6 to 40 hours of "in class" time. Many trainings, especially if they are certification trainings also include homework and out of class hours. For example the YTU Level 1 Certification training is about 42 classroom hours but is considered a 70 hour training with the work that needs to be done outside of classroom contact hours.
- Do I need to take the Level 1 training before moving on to Level 2 and 3?
Yes. Level 1 is a pre-requisite for the advanced levels of Yoga Tune Up® teacher training. Passing Level 1 will qualify you to begin teaching Yoga Tune Up® immediately.
- What is the difference between the different levels of the trainings?
There are currently 4 modules to be a Yoga Tune Up® "Integrated" Teacher, the basic level of certification, the modules for the "Integrated" certificate, include a 40 hour Level 1 Training, which prepares teachers to teach 1 to 1.5 hour classes and privates; a 20 hour Level 2 Hips Immersion Training, which deepens anatomy studies, injury scenarios and prepares for workshop teaching; a 20 hour Level 3 Shoulders Immersion Training, which furthers anatomy studies, injury scenarios and prepares for workshop teaching; and another 20 hour Core Immersion module which is mostly experiential, focusing on developing a profoundly connected abdominal core both physically and emotionally. All teachers who complete this initial 100 hours of training are eligible to be considered for the Yoga Tune Up® Masters program which prepares them to teach teacher trainings and retreats.
Yoga Tune Up® Integrated Certification (100 hours)
- Level 1- 40 hours (no prereq)
- Level 2 Hips Immersion -20 hours (prereq = Level 1)
- Level 3 Shoulders Immersion - 20 hours (prereq = Level 1)
- Core Immersion- 20 hours (no prereq)
Yoga Tune Up® Masters Certification for Teacher Trainers
- 200 formal assisting hours
- YTU Leadership Immersion 20 hours
- Can I get Yoga Alliance Credits?
This training will get you between 20 and 40 continuing Education units depending on the length of the training. Jill Miller is an ERYT-200.
- Will I be able to teach Yoga Tune Up® classes and workshops immediately following the training?
You must pass an in-class evaluation and a post-training test. If you pass, you are eligible for licensing. Once you receive your license, you may begin teaching classes and privates. Level 2 and 3 permits you to teach specific Yoga Tune Up® Workshops. The licensing process can take as little as one week to one month, depending on your submission of the post-training test.
- I would like to teach Tune It Up: Conscious Conditioning. Which training prepares me for that format?
Tune It Up: Conscious Conditioning teachers must all successfully complete the Level 1 training to qualify to teach. This format is appropriate for teachers who also have a background in cardio based group fitness classes, or for personal trainers. These teachers will be given a special manual and training video upon licensing and invited to special training seminars.
- Where can I teach Yoga Tune Up®?
Yoga Tune Up® teachers have a home at Equinox Fitness clubs nationwide teaching both Yoga Tune Up® and Tune It Up: Conscious Conditioning. Yoga Tune Up® classes are also welcome at Yoga studios and retreat centers worldwide. Teachers can also teach classes to corporations, businesses, festivals, volunteer, colleges, park districts, privately, and so on. The possibilities are endless and upon becoming a licensed Yoga Tune Up® instructor, you will be given support, suggestions and referrals to outlets that seek YTU teachers and courses.
- Does the creator of Yoga Tune Up®, Jill Miller, have any videos, articles or media I can check out?
This is a great way to familiarize yourself with this work in advance. Jill has produced and starred in over 40 DVD's, many of which are available through www.yogatuneup.com or Amazon, including her critically acclaimed series by Pranamaya:
1) Yoga Link: Hip Helpers
2) Yoga Link: Core Integration
3) Yoga Link: Shoulder Shape Up
As well as the GAIAM release at Target worldwide Yoga for Weight Loss
You can also see Jill discuss Yoga Tune Up? in a video and written interview at Yogamates.com
- How do I apply?
You can download an application from the main Teacher Training Page. Scroll down to the individual training you would like an application for and click "download application." You can get to that page by clicking here.
- Way less than pricey gym memberships.
- Each month's program costs less than a typical Yoga class.
- Get an interactive fitness experience with live support and a personal "diary and scheduler" to help keep you on track.
- Exercise at a time that works for you (even when you travel!).
- No need to even leave your home (save time and gas money!).
- Three different routine lengths each month provide a flexible fitness program that works with your schedule.
- Improve Strength, Flexibility and Cardio Vascular Health.
- Prevent and relieve pain in your Neck, Shoulders, Back, Hips and more.
- Have more energy and less stress.