Yoga Tune Up® Yoga Tune Up Blog » Self-Care is the Best Form of Self-Love

Self-Care is the Best Form of Self-Love

By: | Tuesday, February 14th, 2017 | Comments 20

In Yoga Tune Up®, we teach sequences that allow you to explore your own inner landscape. That landscape is shaped by the use, misuse, and abuse of the body in every direction.

For example, when the weight of the world (a.k.a. your head) is pulling on your shoulders, you develop postural habits that make it harder to move. Tissues on the back (posterior) part of the neck and shoulders become locked into a lengthened position, while the front (anterior) tissues are locked short. This rounded-forward posture restricts the natural movement of the rib cage, making it harder to breathe and support a neutral spine. The upper trapezius bears the brunt of this stressed position.

Building a self-care toolbox provides you with important feedback from your body so that you can focus the areas that have become silent, and living better in your body is a great form of self-love.

So what if Valentine’s Day falls on a Tuesday this year? Yoga Tune Up® can help you unwind, relax, and treat yoself with some self-care.

Self-Care is the Best Form of Self-Love

1. Mike D says:

For years, I would always be hunched over my shoulders because I had bad body posture and I had no awareness to them. I have learned just stacking the head over the spine can loosen the tension in the neck and can open the rib cage for breathing. I feel we are constantly leaned over as a society to work on computers and electronic devices. But, I love when these back bends with the block and shoulder opening exercises with the therapy balls are fantastic.

2. christina uleano says:

I definitely see both the importance of self care and the connection to how lack there of can be so damaging to the body. I have a love hate relationship with the balls, but i will def try this !

3. This is exactly what I see on my massage table everyday! I teach all my clients a little self love/self care, and I try to lead by example and love myself too 🙂 Great reminder!

4. bee pallomina says:

Love this sequence. My upper traps get so tight when working on a computer. Just did this sequence as a welcome break from homework!

5. Mari says:

I have realized the importance of self care and that its important to take the time to look after self. I’m looking forward to take what I’m learning and add yoga tune up in my own personal practice. The video is quite helpful as a reference.

6. Mari says:

I have realized the importance of self care and that its important to take the time to look after self. I’m looking forward to take what I’m learning and add yoga tune up in my own personal practice. The video is quite helpful as a reference tool.

7. Mari says:

I have realized the importance of self care and that its important to take the time to look after self. I’m looking forward to take what I’m learning and add yoga tune-up in my own personal practice. The video is quite helpful as a reference tool.

8. Julie says:

What a great technique to implement in my daily home care or self-care. I carry the weight of the world on my shoulders, and this totally alleviated that feeling.

9. Julie says:

We did this today in my first day of YTU Level 1 training. I loved it. I felt so much relief in my shoulders when we were done the exercise. I will certainly be including this in my daily self-care.

10. Susan says:

I feel this message cannot be heard enough by wellness professionals. In my experience it can be so easy to give to others and burn out and not give time to myself. What I love about Tune Up Balls is I don’t have to go anywhere, or devote excessive time: which could detour me from even beginning. Consistent small sessions are such a great daily ritual instead of saving up for a long, rare self care session.

11. Ari says:

Over the last 6 months, I have come to believe greatly in the need for everyone, but especially fitness instructors, to take time for themselves and give themselves the gift of self-care. I began several months ago taking (not teaching!) a restorative yoga class at the gym where I manage the group fitness program. It has been such a fantastic, nurturing, relaxing experience that I would not trade for anything. My work schedule does not always permit me to go, but when I can I see it as a treasured luxury in my week – like getting a massage or having my hair or nails done. So much of the American fitness community is focused on “more,” “stronger,” “bigger,” “harder” (or don’t bother). Since starting this journey (which, incidentally, led me to pursue my 200 hour certification), I have begun preaching the gospel of self-care and participating in times of refreshing for the body as opposed to simply pushing it to its limit and beyond. It’s catching on in our gym community and I’d be thrilled and excited but for the fact that I’m so relaxed! Ha!

12. Vernatha Montoute says:

I am a strong believer in self- care and taking the time to nurture ourselves. Last week I pulled a muscle in the back of my neck and was out of work for a week taking muscle relaxers in attempt to ease the pain. This week I experienced periods of relief yet there was still some restriction and pain. I am so thankful to have had Anatomy this weekend in my Yoga Service Teacher Training because the last 2 days of Yoga tune up has already began to provide an even bigger relief in my neck. It’s interesting how working the muscles in your upper back, shoulder blades are connected in a way that would provide relief to the neck. I told myself that I would practice this method for a couple of weeks and would make a chiropractic appointment if it hadn’t helped. So far it’s looking like I may not need that appointment after all. I am excited to be able to incorporate yoga tune up in my personal practice.

13. Cindy DeCoste says:

On Tuesday, several people asked me if I had plans for Valentine’s Day. This year I gave myself the gift of doing Jill’s Yoga Link “Hip Helpers Practice”. It was an amazing gift of self-love, and just what I needed after a long day of sitting at work! I especially like how the class is a blend of stretching, strengthening, stabilizing and moving the hips through their many directions of movement (flexion, extension, abduction, adduction, internal and external rotation). I felt my abductor muscles (gluteus maximus, medius and minimus, TFL) and adductors (magnus, longus and brevis, gracilis, quadratus femoris) muscles getting fired up! Not only did my hips feel more stable, spacious, free, and alive after moving them through their many directions of movement, my breath capacity was noticeably more expansive, especially after the leg stretch series! I am so grateful for all that I have learned from my YTU teachers and for the many self-care tools I have discovered and continue to discover through exploring with the Yoga Tune Up therapy balls, the library of YTU DVDs, and crafting classes.

14. Pam katz says:

Watching this was a helpful reinforcement of what we practiced the past two days. I knew the areas she was talking about too! 🙂
    I’ll refer to this for awhile until I have it memorized.

15. Lauren says:

After regular rolling for a little over a year and half, I have made significant changes in my body. This week I had a massage from my massage therapist who i used to see monthly. Since rolling I haven’t felt the need to have a massage as much. My therapist could not believe the difference in my tissues. She said they were so supple and said it was a real testament to my consistent therapy ball work. A total win for self care!

16. Janelle Schiavi says:

I can truly relate to this article and video. I am 6ft tall and struggled in my teens and early 20’s with insecurity about my height. As a result, I hunched over to appear smaller. Now in my 30’s I have immense tension in my upper back and neck from chronically standing completely out of alignment. I will truly benefit from these exercises and can’t wait to get started. Thank you, Janelle

17. Janelle Schiavi says:

I can truly relate to this article and video. I am 6ft tall and struggled in my teens and 20’s with insecurity about my height. As a result, I hunched over to appear smaller. Now in my 30’s, I have immense tension in my upper back and neck, completely out of alignment. I will truly benefit from these exercises and can’t wait to get started. Thank you, Janelle

18. Suzanne says:

Interesting about using the balls is that it’s not someone else’s hands on you. You become very intimate with your own body. Right now, as I’m learning Anatomy, massage takes on a totally new meaning. It’s not just about sensation. It is actually about where the balls are touching specific parts of my body. And knowing these body parts feels like a whole new landscape, the balls plus Anatomy are a threshold to a whole new landscape.

19. I did this today in my first day of YTU certification/training with Trina Altman. I am currently struggling from whiplash from a really fun day sledding in the snow. I am continuously amazed by how much old I hold in my neck and spine area. The relief I felt nearly brought tears to my eyes.

20. Katy Forline says:

The connection between thoracic mobility and breath is so huge! As long time massage therapist I have seen nearly every client on my table have this problem. It is an epidemic! The proprioceptive awareness that is gained by rolling on YTU balls while breathing and feeling each rib remember how to articulate is amazing, and while you’re doing this you suddenly realize your heart has opened up just a little to self and others:)